Thursday 26 May 2011

Wedding daze...

Dear diary,
As the day of my uncle's wedding is drawing closer, my mother's shopping plans are jumping to the height of recklessness. I swear. It's not like I mind it though. For there's one thing that you can always count on me when it comes to taking over the up roaring shopping streets bustling with life. But thats another story. 
We definitely don't want me to start with the shopping mania tales.
So my mother. Yes her preparations are steadily rising to a fervor  I have never witnessed ever before. 
What mad me realize this happened only yesterday...
I received a text message from my friend at noon asking me to come for an ice cream and a quick stroll for 'serious' matters were needed to be discussed. She needed my help. And not paying heed to it is rightly considered as an action incompatible with the claim to be a FRIEND. So I was on my feet the very next moment.
But. Naturally, first I had to inform my mother about it.
I ambled to her room where she sat surrounded by numerous sarees and cloth materials. In all vibrant shades- glistening and glittering. The sequins formed dancing patterns. She was perched right in the center, sewing the hem of a garment. There seemed a cynical touch in her eyes. She looked up at me and gave me a tired smile.
I staggered a little on seeing her smile like THAT. And then told her about my noble plan.
She listened patiently.
'...So I'll be back by an hour' I said. She didn't say a word- her head still bobbed in her work. I decided that I had done the essential of informing her and turning on my heels, I started walking out of the room. And thats when I received the rudimentary remark I had been anticipating from her. 'Haan go. But you'll acquire a tan under the sun. And then you won't look pretty on shaadi day .' My eyebrows knitted together in heavy disapproval of her remark. But it will be a height of rashness to give her an inkling of the disapproval which blazed inside me. And so with a sigh I left.
Now. That was the end of that. The first incident.
Skipping on to today now.
In the afternoon my mother came to my room her hands full of shopping bags. I looked up from the book I was reading and gave her an inquiring look. She smiled ruefully and gestured my to leave the book. Still confused I got up from my bed. 
'These. are for you. All of these. For every rasm of the marriage. I have bought you matching jewelery too. Chalo beta get up and try it on. I have to make sure that you look perfect. And so we'll have to see if any alterations are required.' I gaped at her in horror. Agreed that I love shopping. But this was going to the very extremes now. 
'oho beta get up. What are you thinking! You have to try the nikah wala dress first. Thats very important.....'
I swallowed my despair. And reluctantly got up...
Really. What I want now is the marriage to get over as soon as possible. Mummy and her jitters are really bothering me.
Oh great. As I'm writing this there she walks in my room again this time her hands holding on to umpteen bangle bunches. For there to prevail peace at home either of us really needs to come in terms with the other person's wishes. I think I have to go.
I'll try writing to again only if my hands survive this torment. 

-Zahra.


No comments:

Post a Comment